When they go to the dump, residents of Bernardsville and Basking Ridge always drive by this strange building at the corner of Pill Hill Road and Ann Street. But what is it?
The building is a sewage pumping station. In 1952, the Bernardsville Council authorized $65,000 in bonds for its construction on a three tenths of an acre lot. The station, which is still in use, pumps waste up to the junction of Hill Street and Dayton Crescent where a pipe connects to the borough’s gravity sewer system. The station originally serviced approximately 110 houses. Another 70 households have been added over the years. Kids also used the building’s grounds for many neighborhood football and baseball games.