Old Liberty Corner School

Liberty Corner School c.1908. Click to enlarge.

This early wood schoolhouse, originally called the Jefferson school, stood on the west side of Lyons Road, north of the triangle in Liberty Corner, NJ.  It was built around 1853 to replace an earlier school, which had burned down.   The building is clearly marked on a map from the 1873 Beers Atlas of Somerset County (see below).

1873 Beers Atlas

After the current Liberty Corner School was built on Church Street in 1905, the old school was sold and converted to a private residence.  A 1918 photo shows windows were added on either side of the door and a rectangular window replaced the semicircular window in the attic.  The building was demolished in 1975.

Old Liberty Corner School, 1918.
Source: Historical Sketches of Liberty Corner
by Rev. John J. Bascom.